I went to the doctor this morning for our weekly check-up. I’m still only dilated to 2 cm (same as the past month) and stretchable to 3 cm. Baby girl is still growing and has plenty of good fluid around her. However, the doctor estimates (from his little ultrasound and feeling my belly) that she’s inching up to 8 pounds already and wants me to schedule an induction soon. I’ve had two children, Jeremy was 8 lb 13 oz at birth, Jesse was quite a bit larger at 9 lb 9 oz. The doctor is concerned that since this little girl is already measuring big that she’ll follow suit and be bigger than her brothers.
Big babies are great, nice and healthy with lots of fat to help them control their temperature. However, big huge babies can be really hard to deliver and I want this one to be natural. I had a horrid epidural experience with Jeremy and had to be assisted with a vacuum. We had a little help from a dose of Nubain when we had Jesse, just to let me sleep between contractions since we went to the hospital at 3 am and had had no sleep beforehand. Unfortunately when you receive any meds you have to be hooked up to an IV for fluids and therefore chained to a bed. I really really want to deliver this little girl without any meds at all and not have to be hooked up to an IV so that I can be free to walk around and change positions.
Our due date is May 30th, but earlier in the pregnancy it was calculated at June 4th. We’ve been going with May 30th all this time, but now that we’re being asked to consider induction I am looking at the other date and wondering “What if that one was correct and we induce too early?” I put the doctor off a week and told him I’d think about it and we’d talk more about our options at my appointment next Monday.
What I’m thinking right now is that I’d still like to wait until our due date of May 30th. I understand she’ll likely be humongous by then, but I don’t want to rush her just in case she wasn’t planning on being ready til June 4th. It’s weird because you just never know. Due dates are just guesses after all. Technically she’s full term now regardless of which date we use and could come at any time and be totally fine. Sure, I’m uncomfortable and pretty much feel *done* with this pregnancy, but I really don’t want to hurry the baby along just for my own comfort. It’s hard to decide though because I so much don’t want to have any interventions during the labor and delivery if possible.