Our visit to the doctor this morning brought us good news. As I shared on Facebook yesterday, after a nice long day of playgroup and the park with Jeremy I was getting some decent contractions in the evening. They lasted less than 30 seconds each and were irregular, but they definitely felt like they were working. All night I was hoping that all those would add up to some real progress at the doctor today.
Well, last week we were only dilated a single centimeter and almost no measurable effacement. This week we are a “loose 1 centimeter” and 50% effaced. Also, instead of -4 station, we’re at -2 now. If you’re not up on your obstetrical terminology, that means that the baby is moving further down which is thinning out and opening up my cervix. All good stuff! Looking at our current progress, since this is our second baby the doctor said that there’s a good chance that we could very well have a baby next week! That’d be awesome. 🙂
When I was pregnant with Jeremy, I went in for my 37 week appointment and was a “snug” 1 cm dilated (like last week). At my 38 week appointment I was 3 cm dilated, that was a Friday. I went into labor on Sunday night and had Jeremy Monday afternoon (at 38 1/2 weeks). Everything I’ve read says that once dilation and effacement begins, second babies come quicker than firsts. With any luck, the baby will decide to grace us with an appearance sometime next week.
In preparation, I’ve got the “0-3 month” baby clothes and a few newborn-sized outfits coming out of the dryer soon and I’ll be packing our hospital bag and Jeremy’s overnight bag tonight. I’m also going to keep up the regular outings with Jeremy. Chasing him around the park and going to our playdates have kept me active and that exercise is definitely good to keep this baby on the right track.